Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, August 20, 2010

Subway Art

I'm sure you have all see the hundreds of different versions of Subway Art floating around blogland lately! It seems that everyone is in love with the graphic simplicity of white letters on a black background or black letters on a white background depending on the technique. I saw the first Subway Art over at Jen's place Tatertots and Jello. She has shared a few different versions, and even has a linky party set up for everyone to share their versions of Subway Art.

After seeing so many great versions, I knew I had to try and make my own Subway Art...and I knew the perfect occasion too. This was actually my second attempt on the same canvas. My first attempt included contact paper used as stencils....which just in case you were wondering....is NOT very effective. I had planned to place the contact paper stencils on the canvas, paint over them, and then remove the stencil leaving the white canvas behind. The contact paper did not adhere to the canvas surface very well, which led to major bleeding. I ended up having to paint the entire canvas black and continue on with another technique.
*********************
For my successful version, I used my Cricut to cut out the letters on bright white card stock. Then I used Mod Podge to attach the letters to the already painted black canvas. With the help of a ruler, a pencil, and a foam craft brush, the letters went on the canvas pretty easily. I added a few layers of Mod Podge just to make sure the letters were securely attached and to make the canvas a little more durable.
I think it turned out pretty great for my first {well technically second} attempt at Subway Art, and I really hope my friend Ashley loves it!
Visit thecsiproject.com
UndertheTableandDreamingThe Girl Creative
Pin It!

36 comments:

Amanda said...

Very cute!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

this turned out GREAT! Anyone would love this!
I need to work on some more too :)

Carrie said...

LOVE it! I love that look too...I'm going to try and remember this when it comes time to decorate the nursery! You did such a great job! What a great gift!

Kelli said...

Ashley will love it. It is so thoughtful and personal. I'm glad it worked out well for you the second time around.

Michelle said...

It's really cute! The black/white combo really pops.

Kmama said...

So cute. You must be an incredibly patient person. I would have given up! LOL

{Kimber} said...

very adorable!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow that is adorable, I'd love to receive this as a gift. You did a great job. Hope you have a great weekend!

Kelly said...

That looks great! I'm going to file this one away for my next bridal shower...I think this would make an awesome gift! Actually, maybe I'll do this for my brother's 1st wedding anniversary which is quickly approaching. You are my Cricut inspiration ;)

He & Me + 3 said...

That did turn out so great. i love this idea. Great job. Black and white are so classic too. NICE!

Darcie said...

LOVE subway art...so classy. You did a GREAT job...however I am not surprised, because you are very creative.

Joanna said...

CUTE! I love that, I think I want one! :-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

What a great gift! :) I like the font you used, Kelli!

Angie said...

That is the perfect gift...I love it!

Miller Racing Family said...

I agree it turned out wonderfully. This will be a wonderful gift that they will love forever.
Hope you have a great weekend!

More Than Words said...

It looks so cute, Kelly!!!! You are the crafting queen!

Myya said...

Cute! I'm sure she will love it!

Foursons said...

It looks great! My first thought when you said you were using contact paper was wondering why you didn't use your Cricut. :)

carissa said...

this is a perfect wedding gift! they will cherish this always! you rock, once again!

Roo @ Nice Girl Notes said...

Cute! I need to do some subway art, for sure!

Mel said...

Adorable and thoughtful. Love it.

I {heart} Nap Time said...

Oh I LOOVE this idea! This would be perfect for a wedding present! I hope its linked up at sundae scoop!! :)

-Jamielyn
http://iheartnaptime.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Cute! I love your version!

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

This is super cute, and a great gift idea. Someone gave us a sign and our wedding date as a wedding gift and we loved it. I like your fresh, modern take!

Jennifer said...

This came out great. I have been wanting to do one myslef...thanks for sharing the techniques that worked and didn't work..LOL!

Ocean said...

Looks great! My sister is getting married at the end of Oct. so I think I might try to make something like this for her. :)

Holly Lefevre said...

I love this. Can I post this on my wedding blog. I think brides would eat this idea up!

Charity said...

I love it, what a sweet gift it would make.

Cha Cha

Megan Gunyan said...

Very cute! I need a cricut! Love it, what a wonderful gift idea!

I'm having a link party and Target giveaway on my blog. I'd love it if you joined up! Have a wonderful day. alittleknickknack.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Very cool. My first Subway Art attempt was a bit of a flop too. It's still up on a wall, but there's no blog post about it! Guess I'll try again--yours is cute!

Coley said...

That's adorable! I've been wanting to give subway art a try.

I tried to use the contact paper stencil trick too and had the same problem you did. Glad to know it wasn't just me!

Dave Caminiti said...

Hey Kelli! Ashley and I LOVED this gift! I think it's so cool and the fact that it's handmade makes it so much more special. I'm excited to get all moved in after the wedding and hang it up :)

The Groom to be!

p.s. We love that we made it onto your blog, which by the way is awesome :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! If you are short on time or in a hurry check out http://subway-sign.com
They have affordable signs and customization and shipping is free.

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Nice Job! I'm sure she loved it:)

Kate said...

Very nice!

~Char said...

This is very cool! Nicely done!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...