Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Roadtrip Ready: Roadtrip Behavior Clips

When we first started planning our big roadtrip, I immediately got on Pinterest to look for ideas. One of the first things I came across was this great idea from Less Than Perfect Life of Bliss for what she called Kid Clips. I knew this was something I had to make for my boys. Being in a car for 10 straight hours is going to require some kind of reward for good behavior, and this was just right for a roadtrip. The concept behind these clips is that you put them up at the beginning of your trip. If one of the kiddos misbehaves, whines, fights, or makes a bad choice then their clip comes down. At every stop on your trip, whichever kids still have their Roadtrip Behavior Clip up gets a treat. Genius idea right?!?
I started with a couple of sheets of cardstock and scrapbook paper and a clothespin for each kid. As you can tell I kept with my color coding system: blue for Henry, green for Grant, and orange for Eli.
I used my Silhouette and a circle punch to cut out a few different sized circles. My biggest circle is 3 inches in diameter and it was the perfect size to cover the entire clothespin. I layered two papers to add a little interest and attached them to each other with a glue dot roller.
Then I added each of the boys' initial to their clip.
I added a coat of Mod Podge to make them a little more sturdy and to protect the paper.
The last you do is add a little bit of hot glue to one side of your clothespin....
...and then stick your paper circle on.
After the hot glue cools, you are ready to hang them on your sun visors and hit the road!

I can't wait to use these Roadtrip Behavior Clips in a few weeks! I have a feeling the boys may test the system a little bit to begin with, but after they see someone else get a treat at a stop I have a feeling they will take it more seriously:)
How do you get your kids to behave on a long roadtrip?

Linking up here..
Pin It!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea. My kids usually behave as they keep busy with activities and their Nintendo DS. Unfortunately, fighting usually kicks in quickly.

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I love this idea!!
I think I'll start using it now..for trips around town :)

Jenilee said...

love this idea for traveling with kids!!!

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

Love it! My kids hate being in the car, but I put the baby in between them so at least they can't hit each other:)


Jessica
stayathomeista.com

Kelli said...

I am absolutely going to do this next year. This is a great idea. I love the scrapbook paper too...so cute!

Foursons said...

Pure genius. I can't get over how genius that really is.

Paula@SweetPea said...

What a great idea! I'm sure your boys try hard to behave to get their reward.

Six Sisters said...

I love this idea! We would love for you to come share it at our weekly link party and enter to win a $50 gift card to Mikarose Clothing!

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/05/strut-your-stuff-saturday-link-party_11.html

Love,
The Sisters

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...